ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[org-tld-agreement]

I disagree with the removal of price controls on org (and other) domains

  • To: <org-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: I disagree with the removal of price controls on org (and other) domains
  • From: "Christopher G. Menda" <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 19:55:08 -0400

I thoroughly disagree with the removal of price controls on org. domains. I
can see where it would be possible to  use pricing as a mean of censorship.
If, for example a registrar was anti gun, they could arbitrarily raise the
price of NRA.org. If they were anti anything, they could put any websites
they wanted out of business

I'm also afraid that this may lead to the removal of price controls on the
.com domains as well. This would be a disaster for small companies. We have
already hear about abuses where registrars play the float to scarf up
domains using the 6 day float for their own use. This move would invite more
abuses.

Keep the price controls!!