ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[org-tld-agreement]

New proposals

  • To: <org-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: New proposals
  • From: "Simsi" <simsi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 22:57:50 +0100

Having been alerted to and read these new proposals for .org, .info and
.biz, I'm very worried. As I understand it, the domains I have spent a lot
of time and money investing in developing can effectively be held for ransom
at renewal time by the registry. Is that correct? If so, that is outrageous.
I would effectively be being blackmailed and could have my domain name
effectively out-priced and revoked by the registry and resold at profit to
someone else with all the added benefits of the traffic I have generated.

I can't believe this - this can't be right? In my opinion, renewals of
existing domains should be capped at a price equal to the original price
agreed in the terms of purchase with inflation factored in. I have no
objection to new registrations costing more, so long as they are reasonable
and achievable to the average layman, but this initiative should not affect
renewals.

Cheers,

Ian Sims