ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[org-tld-agreement]

Proposed contracts and non profit organizations

  • To: org-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Proposed contracts and non profit organizations
  • From: Mary-Anne Gross <skylineagility@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 15:38:52 -0700 (PDT)

As volunteer webmaster for a small non-profit
organization, I would like to state my opposition to
the language in this contract allowing registries to
set prices for .org domains without limitation.

Our group has a long-established web presence, a DMOZ
listing and good search rankings and our site receives
more traffic than many organizations of its type.
Perhaps to some, that would make our domain name more
"valuable".  However, out of necessity this website
also runs on a budget of less than $100 US per year.

Uncapping the prices and allowing registries to set
prices on domains and renewals without limits could
lead to price increases which would effectively remove
this organization (and many of its kind) from
the internet.

I respectfully ask ICANN to rewrite these contracts to
remove this dangerous capability.