ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[org-tld-agreement]

Variable pricing

  • To: org-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Variable pricing
  • From: Kurt Seifried <kurt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 15:22:46 -0600

Hi, I am strongly opposed to variable pricing. I have had my domain name for over 8 years, and use it for personal email, losing it due to a major increase in the cost would be extremely inconvenient and ultimately costly, however I do not have to money to pay for a major increase in renewal costs. I fear there are many people in my situation, your proposed new pricing policy will hurt the Internet severely as many people will no longer be able to use and develop their domain names safely, because they may not be able to afford to renew them next year. Unfortunately the people most likely able to pay for such domains at their "fair market value" are spammers, criminals and other malicious individuals.

-Kurt Seifried, CISSP