ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[org-tld-agreement]

Proposed .BIZ, .INFO AND .ORG gTLD Registry Agreements

  • To: <org-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Proposed .BIZ, .INFO AND .ORG gTLD Registry Agreements
  • From: "David Sprake" <DS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 13:48:28 +0100

Are icann interested in promoting good value through competition for
domain owners?

Ok, in ten years time my renewal for my .info, biz or org names goes
from $10 to $10,000 a year, Ow good I say, with all this competition
there must be someone else I can renew my name with offering a better
deal??

No, the one registry operator controls the price???

How can there be competition for registry operators when there is only
one you are tied into for a given domain??

The Monopolies and Mergers Commission should know about this......

After reading the three letters from registry operators offering to
change the language of the new contracts, I think that this is just a
money grab as there seems to be loopholes and areas of concern.

Afilias even admits it has been getting loads of new business by
lowering its prices, presumably, once business owners have invested in
there .info, biz, and org names they will be forced to pay what ever
Afilias want to keep it. (as per there exclusion (ii) in there letter)

If the registry operators don't want tiered pricing, why don't they want
anyone to rule out the option?

This whole fiasco has made me stop my purchases of .info, biz and org
domains for development. I have also warned my clients to do the same.
For the time being, I will now concentrate on country code domains as
this is more stable. It's a shame I liked .info.

Please Please Please, Lets have it in Black and white, Water tight and
clear and honest. One renewal fee for every .info and a fair price cap
on annual renewal fees.