ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[pdp-pcceg-feb06]

[pdp-pcceg-feb06] Statements of Interest

  • To: pdp-pcceg-feb06@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [pdp-pcceg-feb06] Statements of Interest
  • From: "David W. Maher" <dmaher@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 09:51:33 -0500

In yesterday's teleconf, I again raised the issue of Marilyn Cade's failure to comply with the requirements for filing a statement of interest in order to participate in this PDP.
The statements of interest on file are available at:
http://gnso.icann.org/issues/gtld-policies/statements-of-interest-pdp-feb06-apr.html

Marilyn's statement includes the following:
"The clients of my business are concerned about the security and stability of the Internet, and are strong advocates of ICANN's role in managing and coordinating the technical aspects of the Internet.
I do not believe that I have conflicts of interest with ICANN. From time to time, I may have clients who have a direct policy interest in a particular policy area that is, or could be active at ICANN. At present, two clients that I advise have an interest in reserved names in gTLDs. I have disclosed that to the gNSO Council, and to the Business Constituency and in public statements in the ICANN's public forum and to the ICANN senior staff."
This is not an adequate disclosure. It is clearly inconsistent with the extent of disclosure made by other participants. The fact that disclosure may have been made in other fora does not excuse the failure to disclose the identity of these clients to this PDP.
We are entitled to know who is paying Marilyn to take positions on the issues in this PDP. We are also entitled to know what arrangements she may have for compensation contingent on the outcome of this PDP, even if there is not currently a client relationship.
David W. Maher
Senior Vice President - Law & Policy
Public Interest Registry
1775 Wiehle Ave, #102A