ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[pdp-pcceg-feb06]

Re: [pdp-pcceg-feb06] Updated comments

  • To: "Nevett, Jonathon" <jnevett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [pdp-pcceg-feb06] Updated comments
  • From: Liz Williams <liz.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 08:40:25 +0200

Jon

Many thanks for the suggestion and I will do what I can for the next iteration of the report.

Liz

Liz Williams
Senior Policy Counselor
ICANN - Brussels
+32 2 234 7874 tel
+32 2 234 7848 fax
+32 497 07 4243 mob

On 13 Jun 2006, at 21:42, Nevett, Jonathon wrote:

Liz:

Will there be any staff summaries of the referenced materials in Section D below? It would be inefficient for all of us to try to pull out the key points from all of the documents referenced in this Section. For example, how does Singapore deal with pricing and renewal issues in D.5 and D.7? I could see not summarizing the antitrust primers in D.8., but it would advance the ball a great deal if we were able to read in the actual Task Force Report the high level points from these “expert materials.”

Thanks.

Jon

D.  Expert Materials

1. It is clear that Taskforce Members (and those who are dealing with the related PDP Dec 05 Term of Reference on Contractual Conditions) are concerned that ICANN follows an agreed and publicly available process. This is consistent with ICANN’s Bylaws and ICANN’s Mission and Core Values. It is also consistent that any process ICANN uses to conduct is operations is as transparent as possible, barring the need to keep commercially sensitive information appropriately protected. There is also an expectation from the Taskforce Members (and the broader ICANN community) that there be consistency in the treatment of ICANN’s contracted parties. This does not mean “equal” treatment but rather equitable and predictable treatment of any entity that enters into commercial negotiations with ICANN.

2. The list below is by no means exhaustive and is still under consideration as the Preliminary Report is developed.

3. The first set of information relates to a set of processes that guide the selection of service providers in a variety of settings. The Asian Development Bank (http://www.adb.org/Documents/ Guidelines/Procurement/default.asp?p=prcrmnt) provides a detailed handbook that sets out, for example, the Terms of Reference, the Invitation for Proposals, Evaluation of Proposals and Contract Negotiation. The World Bank (http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/ EXTERNAL/PROJECTS/PROCUREMENT/0,,pagePK:84271~theSitePK: 84266,00.html) provides similar guidance. The OECD’s “Instructions to Tenderers” are very similar to those used by ICANN in the sTLD 2004 process and in the Request for Proposal for the GNSO Review. They can be found at (http://www.oecd.org/site/ 0,2865,en_21571361_33635822_1_1_1_1_1,00.html)

4. These terms and conditions are only part of the equation of “process, transparency and consistency”. The references set out below are relevant to this PDP as they address pricing and licensing issues which are part of the Terms of Reference. For example, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission has produced Model Terms and Conditions for its interconnection agreements (http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/ 337341). In addition, it provides a statement on assessing price modifications for those agreements (http://www.accc.gov.au/content/ index.phtml/itemId/700599/fromItemId/557546).

5. In the same vein, Singapore provides publicly available information about its interconnection pricing negotiations (http:// www.ida.gov.sg/idaweb/pnr/infopage.jsp? infopagecategory=interconnection:pnr&versionid=5&infopageid=I3539). In addition, Singapore’s policy framework for price control can be found here (http://www.ida.gov.sg/idaweb/pnr/infopage.jsp? infopagecategory=competition:pnr&versionid=1&infopageid=I1313)

6. Some Taskforce Members referred to licensing guidelines which may help the Taskforce. These include the World Bank report on mobile license renewal found at (http://wwwwds.worldbank.org/ servlet/WDSContentServer/WDSP/IB/ 2005/09/23/000016406_20050923113019/Rendered/PDF/wps3729.pdf

7. A comparative paper, again from Singapore, sets out its licensing guidelines and deals with renewal and pricing issues. The guidelines also provide, on line, a list of licensees in a similar way to that which ICANN lists registry providers. (http:// www.ida.gov.sg/idaweb/doc/download/I1300/FBO_Guidelines- _14Dec2005.pdf)

8. There are other reports which Taskforce Members may find useful including the US Federal Trade Commissioner’s plain English guide to anti-trust provisions in the US found at http:// www.ftc.gov/bc/compguide/index.htm. The European Commission provides similar information about its role within the European Union found at http://ec.europa.eu/comm/dgs/competition/mission/.