ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[pdp-pcceg-feb06]

[pdp-pcceg-feb06] Experts in various areas

  • To: "'Liz Williams'" <liz.williams@xxxxxxxxx>, <pdp-pcceg-feb06@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Denise Michel'" <denise.michel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [pdp-pcceg-feb06] Experts in various areas
  • From: "Marilyn Cade" <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 17:55:14 -0400

Dear Colleague, I have undertaken to develop some names in the area of
economics/related studies that can be considered as experts for the PDP 06
work. However, I strongly urge that we, as Council, undertake to develop a
broader strategy, and supportive recommendation for the identification,
retention, or consultation with 'independent experts'.

I'm delighted to see in the Operational Plan identification of the need for
an economist for ongoing consultation for staff, and for the TFs/Council.

But, since that may take a while. I've tried to gather some possible names.
I did a web search, and also talked to the OECD and to the EC Competition
authorities and came up with a few names to suggest for PDP 06.

Dr. Martin Cave, London

Dr. Andrew Odlyzko, University of Minn., USA

Dr. Sam Paltridge, OECD

Dr. Michael Katz - former FCC and FTC economist

I also think we need competition authorities to 'consult' with. The European
Commission has used a firm - Analyses Consulting, offices in London and US -
to study competition. They also have an excellent report on the status of
competition in various markets in Europe and it might be that we could
'borrow' some discussion time with them.

We can invite experts from government agencies to 'discuss with us' and not
pay them, since they wouldn't be able to take compensation. They would have
to be speaking from present positions or views about their countries' laws,
or perspectives, tough, not freelancing or speculating, but that kind of
dialogue could also be beneficial.

I suggest that we invite an anti trust attorney - but not the retained
counsel for ICANN, but someone independent, as well.

So, I'd suggest a competition and anti trust authority from the US FTC,
European Commission, and perhaps Australia or Japan. I can get some names
from contacts I have, probably.  There is also a possibility of anti-trust
expertise from one of the NGOs.

I've been giving thought to the practicality of our calendars, and we may
need to show some flexibility in our scheduling of the planned face to face.

  _____