ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[pednr-wg-questions]

Expired domains comments from Andrew Allemann, Domain Name Wire

  • To: pednr-wg-questions@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Expired domains comments from Andrew Allemann, Domain Name Wire
  • From: Andrew Allemann <editor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 09:49:16 -0500

I believe most registrars do an effective job informing customers of
upcoming expirations.  For example, Go Daddy sends multiple expiration
notices by email and even postal mail.  Most registrars continue to send
these expiration notices after a domain expires.  GoDaddy also alerts people
who call its support number if they have any expiring domains.  Most major
registrars follow similar procedures.

I have a few general concerns/observations that this Working Group should
consider.

1. The number one reason people neglect to renew their domains is because
they have incorrect contact information.  When I view historical whois
information for an expired domain, I typically find that it involves bogus
or outdated contact information.  I believe most registrars, and even ICANN,
are doing enough to encourage people to use valid contact information.
Those that use invalid information are likely doing so on purpose and don't
need to be protected for the purpose of expired domains.

2. The practice of changing DNS servers upon expiration is a Catch-22.  On
one hand, changing an expired domain's DNS servers to a registrar landing
page alerts a customer that their domain has expired.  However, it also
prevents them from receiving expiration notices via email if their whois
contact address is something@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (because the mail servers
have been changed).

3. Resellers may have an incentive to let domains expire since they can get
a cut.  It is normal practice for domain registrars to auction off expired
domains and I have no problem with this.  Most of these registrars still
make best efforts to inform customers of renewal dates.  I do have some
concern with resellers, especially since some registrars compensate them
with a portion of auction revenue.

4. Expiration dates are confusing.  One complaint I receive from people who
email me at Domain Name Wire claiming their registrar screwed them (and I
get many such emails) is that it appeared the expiration date was a year
away.  They see the registry expiration date, which is usually automatically
extended a year, and think this is their actual expiration date (as opposed
to the registrar expiration date).  Asking the typical domain registrant to
understand the difference between registry and registrar expiration dates is
asking too much.  This working group should consider ways that registries
can display this data without confusing customers.