ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[privacy-proxy-study-report]

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>

Privacy/Proxy

  • To: privacy-proxy-study-report@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Privacy/Proxy
  • From: David Khoo <david.j.khoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 15:38:03 +0800

I find the use of proxies and privacy very frustrating when trying to track
spammers down.

I appreciate that *Individuals* may not like having their details available
to anyone who performs a search of the who is database, but I feel that it
is unfair for online businesses to hide their information, or hide behind
proxies to obscure spam or shady business practices.

Domain privacy has become a barrier to removing multiple domains with fake
contact details from the internet, as it is not possible
to independently verify them, or even track which domains are owned with
similar false identities.

Information from uribl mywot, siteadvisor, rokso ,  is a useful
corroborating tool to help expose spammers and scammers who are merely
hiding instead of private individuals who aren't bothering anyone.

Perhaps requiring domain privacy issuers to diligently investigate plausible
claims of fraud when they are presented with it is worth while - and
tracking the percentages of privacy registrations vs fraudulent domain
activity* per registrar is warranted.

 * IE bot networks, malware distribution, affiliate spam, fake credit
card processors

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>