ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[psc]

My two cents (English translation of comments from Sebastian Ricciardi submitted 22 Jul 06)

  • To: <psc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: My two cents (English translation of comments from Sebastian Ricciardi submitted 22 Jul 06)
  • From: "Tanzanica S. King" <tanzanica.king@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 17:39:31 -0700

Buenos Aires, July 19, 2006

Attn.:

President?s Strategy Committee

Dear Sirs,

Above all, I applaud the inclusion of several languages in this consultation.
Without
a doubt this is a step forward, not only in the process of internationalization
of
ICANN, but also as a sign of the organization?s true commitment to all sectors
of the
community.

Although I am a member of the At Large Advisory Committee, the Argentinean
Chapter of
the Internet Society and the Advisory Committee of the PIR, I am writing to you
in my
own name as an Internet user, in the confidence that I represent in some way
some of
the concerns and interests of users of the Internet in general.

With regard to your specific questions:

*       What are some of the main challenges to ensuring continued stable and
secure
operations of the Internet's domain name and IP addressing system, and are
there steps
that could be taken to improve this?

Without a doubt, one of the greatest challenges is to strengthen the current
model.
The organizations involved in the operation of the system of domain names have
made a
valuable contribution up to now to the development of the Network.  Even if we
were to
consider possible improvements to the system ? and we shall do that during the
course
of this missive ? the value of the multi-stakeholder model is unquestionable.

In light of the recent process of the World Summit on the Information Society,
we have
seen interest on the part of sovereign States in the evolution of the Internet
Network
and the importance that such States attribute to its development.  Those of us
who
have had the good fortune to participate in this process have been able to
observe the
manner in which the concerns of many government representatives have dissipated
to the
extent we have become informed and studied the problems at hand and the role
that such
organizations as ICANN, ISOC and NRO have played in recent times.

The challenge is clearly to achieve true internationalization of the model,
strengthening the participation of all players in the international community,
as well
as the general public ? presented with a broad range of options for
participation,
through educational programs, the strengthening of technical capabilities and
the use
of multiple languages.

Likewise, the speedy incorporation of the system of International Domain Names
(IDN?s)
is essential to having a truly inclusive and global Network.

The main difficulty that we will encounter along the way will likely be the
need to
have these changes come from the initiative of those of us participating in the
process of development of ICANN policies.  We are the ones who must understand
the
challenge and take concrete measures to face it, instead of waiting for them to
be
imposed on us.  What we need, then, is to make the community aware of these
challenges
and promote a true cultural change.  The more we think that the current
operation of
the system is perfect or that it best satisfies our interests, the harder it
will be
for us to be able to change it.

The preparation of a proper, clear and defined strategy for launching new
generic Top
Level Domains also constitutes a fundamental aspect of ensuring stable and
secure
continuity of the operation of the system of Internet domain names and IP
addresses.
It is necessary to overcome the problems that have been broached in the past,
based on
the introduction of new gTLD?s, with a clear and consensual policy among all
interested participants.

Ultimately, it is certainly becoming ever more necessary to analyze the
technical
risks that the administration of the system of domain names involves, reinforce
the
work of the security committee and monitor any marketing practices that may
affect the
normal functioning of the system.

*       Members of the Committee accept that there are a number of
administrative
challenges that ICANN faces as it is a unique model of bottom up participation
and
coordination of policy decision making. What are examples of how other global
organizations have met similar challenges? Can experiences in other
organizations be
applied to ICANN to inform consideration of how best to serve the global
community?

Without a doubt, the experience of the Internet Society may be very useful in
this
regard.  Not only due to the openness, breadth and transparency of the work of
the
IETF, but also due to the habitual consultations that ISOC makes among its
members
through the discussion lists and the survey system.  The recent program of ISOC
Ambassadors, and the program underway on financing initiatives from the
chapters are
excellent examples of how an organization with members scattered around the
world can
succeed in incorporating ideas, opinions and work by members of the world
community.

*       Is the organization's ability to scale internationally affected by its
legal
personality being based in a specific jurisdiction?

The fact that the organization has its legal status based on a specific
jurisdiction
should not present any problems of scalability, although it would be desirable
for
some type of consensual agreement to exist with the host country on the
application of
local laws in some of the critical aspects of the administration of the system
of
domain names and distribution of IP addresses, such as the operation of root
servers,
aspects of intellectual property, corporate governance rules, etc.

*       Given ICANN's narrow technical coordination mission and
responsibilities, how
should ICANN respond to relevant issues or challenges deriving from the WSIS
decisions, including those related to Internet governance?

It has become extremely important to separate, among the questions that ICANN
addresses in fulfilling its role, those questions involving technical
coordination
from political questions that may be subject to government control.

Many times I have heard, in conversations with members of different SO?s or
advisory
committees, discussions concerning what role should be reserved for governments.
Without a doubt, questions that specifically relate to technical operation
should not
require significant government treatment, although we should recognize the
existence
of other questions, such as those relative to intellectual property, in which
the
governments have a valid interest that must be taken into account.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to put aside the phrase ?policy development
process?
to incorporate the phrase ?technical coordination process?, so as not to create
greater confusion.

There has been great confusion at the CMSI concerning the nature of these
questions,
and it is partly for this reason that it became so difficult to reach an
agreement
that would be more operative than the current Tunisian Agenda.

*       Specifically, how should ICANN further enhance cooperation of all ICANN
stakeholders on those Internet governance issues that fall into ICANN's scope of
activities?

1) Giving more room to national states to tackle the topics that interest them
and
which fall within their area of interest, but not beyond.  In questions of pure
technical coordination, the GAC should not have greater relevance than the rest
of the
participants.

2) Giving more room to the At Large community, once it is duly organized, to
prevent
deceptions, such as those in the past, and to stimulate its participation in the
process of technical coordination.

*       What can ICANN do to further improve the value that the GAC and its
individual
members offer to the multi stakeholder framework and addressing public policy
concerns?

N/A

*       What can be done to assist in the evolution of a more widely informed
participation from all regions from all interested stakeholders, including
governmental representatives?

The idea to hold regional meetings, which has been circulating for some time,
is no
doubt attractive, and would serve to stimulate participation among all
interested
parties.

On the other hand, the regional liaisons that have been recently designated can
do
important work.  Nowadays, wonderful work is being done for the establishment
of the
Regional At Large organizations, and they are showing a great ability to tackle
the
various problems presented.

*       Are there activities or steps that would build on existing processes to
continue to enhance global accessibility to the transparency of ICANN's
processes and
input into the decision-making processes?

1) Incorporate different languages as a general standard for the issuance of
working
documents and public discussions.  LACNIC has successfully completed a very
ambitious
process in this regard, without making great economic sacrifices.  The language
barrier is often undervalued at ICANN.

2) Publish the agenda of the readings ahead of time and require each SO and AC
to act
accordingly.

3) To stimulate regional initiatives ? through meetings and the work of the
regional
liaisons ? particularly in Africa and Latin America.

4) To keep a public calendar accessible on the web, of the topics that are under
analysis or in discussion, and the steps to be taken.

5) To enormously improve the site  <http://www.icann.org/> www.icann.org and its
availability in various languages.

6) To promote and finance regional initiatives relative to the study of the use
of the
Internet Network.

7) To establish a policy of communications, clear and consistent institutional
and
public relationships whose purpose is to depoliticize the work of ICANN, and
have all
interested parties understand the importance of their eminently technical role.

Finally, I would like to thank the members of this committee for the important
work
they are doing, in consulting the President on the formulation of strategies,
and for
the valuable time they are dedicating to this task.  I have no doubt, due to
the tenor
of the questions that have been asked, that active participation by all
interested
parties in the technical coordination plan is one of their greatest concerns,
which
will be reflected in the reports they will soon be signing.

Sincerely,

Sebastián J. Ricciardi Lima