ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[regional-offices]

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>

ICANN African Regional Office

  • To: regional-offices@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN African Regional Office
  • From: Idowu Sowunmi <idowusowunmi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 22:42:58 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Sir,
It gladened my when I read of ICANN's plans to
establish a regional office in Africa. No doubt, it is
one way of bringing the significance of Internet
closer to a Third World continent like Africa.
Sir, as a journalist with one of the leading
newspapers in Nigeria, THISDAY, I wish to enquire from
your honourable office certain information that
bothers on the proposed office.
1) What are the criteria set up by your office for the
establishment of this regional office?
2) Would such establishment be done with so much
prejudice to the Internet capacity of any African
country?
3) What would be the main significance of such
regional office to Africans and their quest to close
the digital gap between Africa and the developed
nations?
4)  For instance the recent controversy over the
administrative 'ownership' of Ngeria's Internet web
brought about so much noise. Would ICANN proposed
regional office be confined to similar and add no
value to Internet development in Africa?
Fianally, I wish to say that any further useful
information will be appreciated if sent along with
these questions.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Yours,
Idowu Sowunmi