ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[revised-biz-info-org-agreements]

Proposed changes to Biz/Info/Org contracts a positive step

  • To: <revised-biz-info-org-agreements@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Proposed changes to Biz/Info/Org contracts a positive step
  • From: "Max Menius" <MMeniusJr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 23:44:55 -0400

To: ICANN Board of Directors

New section 7.3 (to be added to the agreements) addresses the need for
predictable pricing on new domain registrations, renewals, and transfers. This
section uses clear language to specify what BIZ/INFO/ORG registrants may expect
to pay for long-term retention of their domain names. A worse case scenario
allows for a 10% price increase per year.

I consider this a signficant improvement over the initial agreements. The
initial agreements were devoid of safeguards and left open the door for
horrific tiered-pricing abuses on existing domain name registrants. ICANN
allowing a maximum 10% per annum price increase is well-defined and offers
BIZ/INFO/ORG stakeholders the protection they deserve.

I am aware that there can be no single outcome that will satisfy all interested
parties. However, I appreciate that ICANN have taken into consideration the
internet community's concerns and rewritten the initial contracts to remove
discriminatory pricing.

In closing, I want to emphasize how critically important it is that registries
and accredited registrars be tightly regulated and monitored by ICANN. My
experience, and that of many others, has found a disturbing lack of oversight
of registrar behavior in recent years. Assuming that registry/registrar "good
will" and ethical business practice are commonplace is naive and unrealistic in
the extreme. Some accredited registrars operate their businesses in a
respectable manner ... while a surprising number (of currently accredited
registrars) are rife with abusive practices and misuse their accreditation
status to warehouse valuable domain names and speculate on names in direct
competition with the general business community. Accreditation has become the
new device for registrars to siphon off internet domain names for their own
profit. This arguably goes against the spirit of ICANN's registrar agreement
and has been far too long overlooked. Reference ICANN registrar agreement item:

3.7.9 Registrar shall abide by any ICANN adopted specifications or policies
prohibiting or restricting warehousing of or speculation in domain names by
registrars.

The time has come for ICANN to take a position on this, to adopt a policy
prohibiting warehousing and speculation by accredited registrars.

Cordially,

Max Menius
Menius Enterprises, Inc.
Greensboro, NC, USA