ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[revised-biz-info-org-agreements]

RE: [ga] RE: Has ICANN consulted the GAC about .biz/info/org?

  • To: "'George Kirikos'" <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Vint Cerf'" <vint@xxxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <revised-biz-info-org-agreements@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] RE: Has ICANN consulted the GAC about .biz/info/org?
  • From: "Michael D. Palage" <Michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 20:21:48 -0500

George:

While I share your appreciation of the nuances regarding ICANN bylaws
(inside joke to Vint and John), I must respectfully disagree with your
assessment that the ICANN Board must/should wait until San Paulo to make
a decision on these contracts. The basis for my position is that the
proposed contracts that Afilias, NeuStar and PIR are submitting are
almost identical to the following registry contracts that have been
executed with NO prior opposition from the GAC: .JOBS, .TRAVEL, .CAT,
.MOBI, .NET, .ASIA, and .TEL.

Now when the GAC or its individual members have public policy concerns
they are not afraid to make their voice(s) heard. I believe one needs to
look no further than ICM and their application for triple X.

Now given that almost every action that ICANN takes involves some aspect
of public policy, I fear that your proposal would cripple the
organization to only taking action three times a year after face to face
consultation with the GAC. That unfortunately is the logical
extension/application of our original proposal/thinking.

I think to date the Board has done a fairly reasonable job balancing its
fiduciary obligations to listen to all stakeholders (Supporting
Organizations, Advisory Committees, stakeholders, etc.) in making its
decisions, and why I think unless there is no formal objection from the
GAC, the Board is capable of making an informed decision on a very
thoroughly discussed set of contracts.

Best regards,

Michael D. Palage

P.S. - Usual disclosures apply regarding my relationship with various
registration authorities including Afilias (.INFO) which currently has a
contract pending before the ICANN Board.