ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[revised-biz-info-org-agreements]

Opposed to potential 10% annual price increase

  • To: revised-biz-info-org-agreements@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Opposed to potential 10% annual price increase
  • From: Andrew Moulden <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 08:19:21 +0000

A 10% increment, if fully exercised, would enable a doubling of prices every
seven years or so. This is so far in advance of most people's inflationary
expectations that it would provide little in the way of price stability.

As I said for the original agreements, I fail to see why registry and ICANN
fees cannot be indexed - if necessary with some smoothing mechanism and/or
allowance for exceptional circumstances - to inflation, a basket of stockmarkets
or some other suitable economic indicator. The registries should be free to
generate more income, in real terms, through encouraging the registration of
greater numbers of domains, not through gouging existing registrants.

Sincerely,
Andrew Moulden

http://www.iwhois.com | quick, accurate domain name whois lookup