ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[root-glue-comments]

Comments on DNS Root Zone Glue Policy

  • To: root-glue-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comments on DNS Root Zone Glue Policy
  • From: Shinta Sato <shinta@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 21:56:19 +0900

Regarding IANA's proposed "DNS Root Zone Glue Policy", JPRS technical
team has had discussions.  Below are the comments we'd like to submit.

For the "DNS Root Zone Glue Policy", we think that it is best to
"retain same approach".  Current procedure for the IP address changes
is well proven by the fact of the stability of the Internet and the
root zone operations.  We think the policy change is not required
right now.

The topical problem that IANA is not able to handle the address change
requests from the TLDs promptly is derived by sharing of the same
server name among multiple TLDs.  If each TLD uses different server
name, this problem can be avoided.  It does not require IANA procedure
change.

The root zone has multiple DNS server names that have same IP address
today, and no technical problems have been seen.  Thus, there is no
need to change the IANA database structure.

Furthermore, even if one name server is shared, using different names
for each TLD is a better way to make the TLDs' DNS operational
accountability high.  TLD operators are not required to take this
approach, but the current IANA procedure already permits them to
choose the above way.

Here's another suggestion.  IANA is using e-mail addresses of
Administrative Contacts and Technical Contacts to reach the TLD
operators.  These addresses are widely known, and mass of e-mails are
sent to them.  The communications between IANA and TLD operators
should be privileged against those e-mails.  If IANA collects other
e-mail addresses from each TLD operators than publicized ones and keep
them private, those collected addresses can be more reliable means for
the communications.

Regards,

Shinta Sato <shinta@xxxxxxxxxx>
Japan Registry Services Co., Ltd.