ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[sac053-dotless-domains]

Strong disagreement with dotless domains

  • To: sac053-dotless-domains@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Strong disagreement with dotless domains
  • From: Richard Hartmann <richih.mailinglist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 13:34:27 +0200

Dear all,

I _strongly_ disagree with plans for dotless domains.

The dot is the single most basic assumption about domain names.
Especially with the recent proliferation of arbitrary domains,
allowing dotless domains would make determination of what's an address
and what's not harder for both humans and machines.

While it's, sadly, too late to take back random vanity first level
domains, they at least require a second level below them. Allowing the
first level to hold A/AAA/CNAME/whatever is, to me, insane.

Thank you for your consideration,
Richard Hartmann