ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[settlement-comments]

No Consensus on Consensus Policy Definitions

  • To: settlement-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: No Consensus on Consensus Policy Definitions
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 13:39:28 -0700 (PDT)

The ICANN community of participants has long had an
understanding of that which constitutes a "Consensus
Policy".  We have for many years abided by the
definition drafted into the current registry-registrar
agreement.

The new .com registry agreement establishes a new
definition for Consensus Policy and further sets new
conditions, for example:

"In addition to the other limitations on Consensus
Policies, they shall not:
prescribe or limit the price of Registry Services"...

In my view, ICANN should not be changing the
definition of consensus policy without first obtaining
community consensus on this issue.

Danny Younger

http://mail.yahoo.com