ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[settlement-comments]

ICANN / Verisign Settlement - The UN Could Make a Better Deal

  • To: settlement-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN / Verisign Settlement - The UN Could Make a Better Deal
  • From: Scott Shepherd <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 11:30:17 -0800

The terms are unnaceptable, and the entire settlement from both sides is
disapointing.

It's ICANN's responsibility to be a GOOD steward and act on our behalf, agreeing
to this settlement goes entirely against that charge and mandage. ICANN needs
to step up and fight for the ISP's, Registrars, and Internet users. If we
needed deals and poorly thought out agreements like this we'd be just as well
off turning over the ICANN to the UN. Then at least the incompetance and
corruption would be more obvious and open to public criticism.

Fee's should be going DOWN, not up. VeriSign's monopoly has done nothing but
harm the internet and it's job needs to be opened to public bid to bring in a
new company to do the job before they entrench themselves with anymore
sweetheart deals. This should have been done several years ago, but nobody has
the foresight or initiative to do it, and keeps extending their monopoly.

We shouldn't have to bribe VeriSign with a free increase in order to make them
agree to terms that should already be in effect according to the role they've
been given and paid well for.