ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[settlement-comments]

Backwards logic

  • To: settlement-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Backwards logic
  • From: adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 04:02:41 -0600

To ICANN board of directors.

As a member of the general public, a .COM domain name registrant and a small
business internet service provider, I would like to comment on your proposed
settlement agreement.

I believe the contract for the .COM registry should not be tied to the legal
battles that
ICANN has with Verisign and any term changes made to the .COM registry contract
should not be considered a "bargaining chip".  The legal battles with Verisign
do not
involve other parties that will be affected by these proposed changes in the
registry
contract, such as myself and the general public.  In essence the proposal to
increase
fees takes money from my pocket to settle ICANN's legal problems. I find this
unacceptable.

Overall the terms of the .COM registry contract should take into account the
best
interests of the general public and internet users.   In my opinion increasing
these fees
is not necessary and not in the best interests of the general public. These
contract
terms should not be associated with the ICANN vs Verisign legal battle and this
proposal should not be accepted by the board if they are considering the
interests of
their overall constituents.

Thank you for your time.
Adam Strong