ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[settlement-comments]

Please reconsider this settlement with Verisign.

  • To: settlement-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Please reconsider this settlement with Verisign.
  • From: BJ <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 18:11:03 -0500

I understand that this settlement will pretty much guarantee that all the .com domain names I own will go up in price EVERY YEAR in a time when prices for all other domain names is dropping. Why is this? I understand that this settlement is unnecessary since you will most likely win. You will hurt all the small businesspeople who make the world wide web special. This seems a poor way to treat the people who have entrusted you with this responsibility.

Why ICANN should not sign this Settlement?

a.. ICANN itself has stated publicly that it is more likely to win the lawsuit than lose it. There is no reason for it to sell out the Internet to settle this litigation when there is a greater chance of it winning the lawsuit anyways.

b.. The outcome does not provide benefits to the Internet community that both ICANN and Verisign were intended to serve.

c.. The ICANN staff are proposing to provide Verisign the ability to increase their prices by 7% annually. Everywhere around the world prices for domain names and web services are reducing. There is no reason for ICANN to grant an increase in the prices.

d.. ICANN is supposed to act as an administrator of the Internet on behalf of the Internet community. This proposed settlement however benefits ICANN and Verisign at the cost of the community.

-- I hope you'll do the RIGHT thing, and not sign over my future to Verisign. BJ Novack

http://kickasswebdesign.com
devblog: http://kickasswebdesign.com/wordpress/
Kickass WebGeek Resources: http://kickasswebdesign.com/webgeekdir/

Also owner of:
kickassvintage.com
kickasstemplate.com
seeklocally.com
delvalstyle.com
lehighstyle.com
hotrodnut.com
ratrodnut.com
weddingdaygallery.com
makemegrin.com
whatmakesmesmile.com
myweddinggiftlist.com

---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound says I'm squeaky clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0547-4, 11/24/2005
Tested on: 11/24/2005 6:11:05 PM