ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[settlement-comments]

ICANN, Verisign .COM Settlement

  • To: settlement-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN, Verisign .COM Settlement
  • From: GrassRootsDesign <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 13:25:51 -0500

Dear Sirs/Madam;

I am writing to add my voice to the thousands that want to keep the
trade in .com domain registration process fair. My small company in
Warsaw, Ontario, Canada provides registration service to my clients and
believe that the proposed agreement between ICANN and Verisign will
impact negatively on this business arrangement. Proposals to increases
the cost of registering a .com domain should be negotiated in a fair and
open way.

The current proposal allows Verisign to increases the price of .com
domain names by 7% each year. The proposal doubles the fees that
accredited registrars must pay to ICANN which will be passed on to small
resellers. The cancellation terms would be difficult to implement.
Therefore, Verisign will essentially gain perpetual control of the .com
registry.

I am requesting that this prosed agreement not be ratified and that
instead the spirit of fair trade be used in future rate increases.

Cc: Trade Policy Consultations and Liaison Division (EBC), International
Trade Canada

--
Bruce McFarlane