ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[settlement-comments]

do not approve the Verisign-ICANN settlement

  • To: settlement-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: do not approve the Verisign-ICANN settlement
  • From: "Barto Enterprises, Inc." <officers@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 02:18:18 -0500

Dear Sirs and/or Madams,

I am writing in regards to the proposed settlement of the Verisign/ICANN settlement proposal. I feel this proposal will create a monopoly over the the single greatest entity known with all rights and operations assigned to Verisign. I agree with the letter from Godaddy (http://forum.icann.org/lists/settlement-comments/msg00269.html) and believe changes need to be made in the settlement which would protect public interest.

I run a domain registration business and feel my customers would not be hurt in the long run by the monopoly Verisign is being granted. Remember, Verisign had the monopoly of domain names until 2001 where it charged its customers $35.00 per domain. Since competition was introduced, domains may be purchased as low as $6.95. This is how you best service the public, you create competition. Verisign has already proven it will "steal" traffic to promote their own services and using their power for the sole purpose of making money for themselves; thus creating an unfair advantage. As you know, Verisign was forced to remove their traffic stealing service.

This settlement will do nothing to advance the internet, but it will line the pockets of Verisign.

Thank you,
Philip W Barto
President
Barto Enterprises, Inc.