ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[settlement-comments]

RE:"ICANN-Verisign Settlement MacandD" Statement

  • To: settlement-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE:"ICANN-Verisign Settlement MacandD" Statement
  • From: J J <nametycoon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 19:59:56 -0800 (PST)

Its great of you to think Verisign has your best
interest in mind their proposed CLS but one can only
assume there's other motives behind your post just as
Pool has theirs. But if not being that you have just
now become of aware of it let me fill you in on the
real facts.

I share the same objections as pool.com they just
happen to have the ability to speak for the little
guys like me. And in reality this is just one of the
many things wrong with this settlement. I don't make
alot of money at what I do but I am able to work from
home, make a decent living, and spend quality time
with my son. If Verisign paves this golden path for
their future they put me and MANY others out of
business. Why?

For one, their proposed service eliminates everything
I have taught myself to do over the past 4-5 years. It
opens up the expired drop market to the world. It
tells them when, where, and how to get a name. The
only thing left from there is who has the bigger
wallet. I would imagine you haven't participated in
one of the current auction serives but if you had you
would find you need a REAL FAT wallet. And this is
only a handful of people bidding. Imagine if thats
opened up to the world. All the while Verisign sits
back and collects a nice commission.

Secondly, with their proposed service they intend to
allow owners to add names to it during "active phase"
and charge a fee on a sale transaction that is much
less than the current industry standard. I make most
of my living pairing up buyers and sellers by charging
a fee on the transaction. A bit like a real estate
agent would. In a sense thats what I am only a digital
estate agent if you will. Now imagine if MLS sent out
a memorandum to all of the real estate agents of the
world and said, "Your services are no longer needed as
we will be opening our service up to the public.

Home owners will be able to add and sell their homes
themselves so go find a job." That is essentially what
is happening here. If this deal gets signed ICANN and
Verisign might aswell be sending out this memorandum
to me and hundreds if not thousands of others.

Sincerely,

John Jeffers
Future Undetermined

http://mail.yahoo.com