ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [soac-mapo] charter and mission

  • To: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] charter and mission
  • From: Antony Van Couvering <avc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 12:28:06 -0400

Milton,

I'm wading a little out of my depth here, but I think you have it a bit wrong.
The Treaty of Paris (the trademark treaty) allows exemptions from recognizing
trademarks if they are offensive or threaten morality and public order.  It's a
national exemption because morality and public order cannot, just as you say,
be applied globally.

So the idea of a local exemption to an almost-global standard is not so much of
a problem: there are models and templates to follow, such as the Treaty of
Paris for trademarks.

For the GAC at least, the issue -- as explained by Suzanne Sene, the US rep on
the GAC -- is rather different.  Here's what she said at the GAC meeting.  In
fact she said it on multiple occasions, there are several quotes like this.
Since the objection was identified by, and raised by, the US Gov't, it's worth
listening to what they have to say:

"The problem that we finally identified as basically being
insurmountable is that the proposed approach is exceedingly complex
and possibly highly subjective.  That's just a first observation.

"The bigger problem is that the terms "morality and public order" are
used in the Treaty of Paris as grounds for countries to take an
exception to the obligations they have signed onto.  So, in other
words, the Treaty of Paris pertains to tractor [I think she meant "trademark"]
protection.  And I hope
our WIPO colleague is in the room, because I will defer to that
expertise.  And that provision in the treaty permits countries to deny
a trademark application on the basis of morality and public order.
But the determinations for the denial are made on a country-by-country
national basis.

"So it is -- the more we thought about it, the more we realized that
this was a very bizarre, if you will, basis for ICANN to create a
foundation for an affirmative decision when it's used in the treaty as
an exception.  So, from our perspective, that tells us -- confirms our
understanding that there is no international law on morality and
public order.  There is no internationally agreed definition of what
morality and public order might encompass.  It is determined on a
country-by-country basis."

In other words, the morality and public order is a local thing, invoked locally
in relation to something that is otherwise global in scope.  Morality and
public order are specifically NOT globally defined, and therefore -- according
to the US government -- ICANN has no business or justification for trying to
define such a thing.  On the contrary, such a thing can only exist locally, and
therefore can be the basis of an exception, and never an affirmative global
standard.  The implication is that if morality and public order were ever
defined on a global scale, it should be governments doing it by treaty, not
ICANN by comment periods.

So this isn't exactly what you said.  Since we're essentially dealing with the
U.S. Gov't objections, I thought it would be useful to be precise on their
concerns.

Antony