ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

RE: [soac-mapo] charter and mission

  • To: Mary Wong <MWong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx" <soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [soac-mapo] charter and mission
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 13:33:27 -0400

Mary,
Your comments about the distinction between public and private international
law are very useful and important. Thanks for making them. On the last point
you added, I think we can easily get confused by the way you framed the
question.
 (ancillary questions might include - what is the technical risk of a
fragmented Internet caused by national governments exercising their sovereign
rights to block certain sites/strings? What is ICANN's legal liability/exposure
with/without a MAPO objection process? etc.)

In technical circles, a "fragmented internet" tends to imply a protocol
incompatibility, which implies an actual inability of one network to reach
another - even when it _wants_ to reach the other. For example, if we had two
or more uncoordinated ip address registries, you might be unable to communicate
with someone in Europe due to address collisions.

Blocking sites or strings, on the other hand, is a voluntary act a network
operator might take that occurs thousands of times a day for thousands of
different reasons. For example, ISPs routinely block IP addresses or ports
associated with spam or botnets, end user systems routinely install filters to
block certain kinds of content. That is not a "fragmented internet" that is
just the way people manage their exposure to the internet.

Free expression advocates such as myself may disapprove of most of this
blocking, especially when it is done by states and involuntarily imposed on
companies and citizens. However, if they have the power to do it, they will do
it, and we can't change it through ICANN policy. We can only change it via
domestic advocacy within that country. In other words, the issue of blocking is
orthogonal to the issue of what TLDs are globally created.

More importantly, there is an obvious logical contradiction in the idea that
TLDs should be filtered and blocked by ICANN so as to avoid blocking of
specific TLDs by individual states. This doesn't avoid blocking, it simply
shifts the site of it to the global level, and imposes the lowest common
denominator standard on the whole world.

Imagine if we did that for web site content. Supposed that we said, "China
blocks millions of web sites, and we don't think that's good because it leads
to a 'fragmented internet.' So we are going to make all the world's web sites
submit their content to a central vetting authority who will eliminate any
content that China or some other country might block." Such a policy would
obviously be foolish. It would end up blocking and fragmenting MORE content
than simply letting everyone publish and letting each individual state respond
by blocking what they don't like.

So please don't imply that if ICANN blocks TLDs it is somehow avoiding
blocking. Insofar as ICANN tries to anticipate what TLDs will be blocked by
individual states, it is actually enlarging the scope of blocking tremendously.

--MM