ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [soac-mapo] charter and mission

  • To: Evan Leibovitch <evan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] charter and mission
  • From: Jon Nevett <jon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 07:55:36 -0400

I can't speak for Antony, but I think that the approach he was taking issue
with was the one Evan mentions directly below and not the IO process.  If not,
I will.  I think that the IO objection process would be easier to implement
than a banned list or a pre-application advisory process.  First, a list would
require a whole lot of needless debate about names that no one would have
applied for during the process.  Second, a pre-application advisory would not
be able to take into account the applicant, the string, and the intended use.
If it did, it would give these applicants an unfair advantage over other
applicants that might be in a grey area on other issues (e.g. trademarks on the
top level, string similarity, etc.).  Finally, we shouldn't be too worried
about applicants (and their investors) who apply for a name that they know will
be highly controversial.  They obviously will know that going in and there
already is a partial refund available in DAG4 if they see that their
application got caught up in an objection process and they choose not to
proceed.

Thanks.

Jon