ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [soac-mapo] RE: List Update

  • To: Evan Leibovitch <evan@xxxxxxxxx>, Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] RE: List Update
  • From: Konstantinos Komaitis <k.komaitis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 17:40:41 +0100

+1

KK

On 28/07/2010 17:15, "Evan Leibovitch" <evan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

+1

On 28 July 2010 06:29, Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx> wrote:

However, in substantive terms I wish to raise some caution regarding your
suggestion that we are merely "improving the implementation" of the MAPO
recommendation. The US government has (in legally correct terms) called the
whole construct into question by pointing out that MAPO provides a basis for
states to _except_ themselves from recognizing trademarks or permitting
information flows. There is no generally accepted standard of morality and
public order that can be used on a positive basis to determine which TLD
strings are or are not acceptable.

Therefore the task we face is more complex that you suggest. This must be
reflected in the terms of reference.