ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [soac-mapo] Revised draft Charter Terms of Reference for your review

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] Revised draft Charter Terms of Reference for your review
  • From: William Drake <william.drake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 09:04:56 +0200

Hi

On Aug 25, 2010, at 3:57 PM, Avri Doria wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In which case, and if others agree with this position, we should declare in
> the ToR that it is planned to end with the Sept 13 report.  My issue was that
> the question was left dangling.  So it was not a question of it running over,
> but rather a question of not stating what the intention was for post Sept 13.
> Though, it seemed to me, the original intent of the ToR was that it not end
> on Sept 13 - hence the call for a preliminary report.
>
> There are good reasons to say Sept 13 and it is over.  And I think there are
> good reasons to say Sept 13 is preliminary (whether we call it that or not)
> and that we expect to continue. And I think there is a good reason to say
> that after Sept 13, the group will review  and decide what comes next.

The latter two points resonate with me.  I think it's unrealistic to try to
tightly bound to a short timeline a somewhat experimental process on a divisive
issue involving multiple groups with their own dynamics, some of which require
more time than others.  I think we need to have whatever dialogues are needed
to move toward great mutual understanding and adapt the process to the desired
outcome.  If "preliminary" bothers people ok but I would support Avri's
proposed sentence.

Bill