ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [soac-mapo] Background info?

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] Background info?
  • From: Evan Leibovitch <evan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 14:10:34 -0400

What I found interesting about the Economist report was that the Russian
blocking was happening at the regional, not the national level -- and
provincial/state level governments are not represented at all within our
group (or ICANN in general).

Regardless of what we do, these local governments will do what they do, so
long as they have constitutionally independent authority from their national
governments to do so. In these cases, even their national governments cannot
necessarily make commitments on their behalf.

- Evan