ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

RE: [soac-mapo] Incitement (#6 & #14) was Re: [] RE: List of Discussion Threads

  • To: Konstantinos Komaitis <k.komaitis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>, soac-mapo <soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [soac-mapo] Incitement (#6 & #14) was Re: [] RE: List of Discussion Threads
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 23:13:04 -0400

Actually I think Konstantinos and Avri are making essentially the same point,
i.e. they are mostly in violent agreement, but somehow couching their argument
in a way that makes it seem like a disagreement. When Konstantinos says that
"incitement has a very specific nature and incorporates some very basic
criteria (e.g. Real encouragement to perform an act and not a simple statement
or wish to perform such act)" and Avri says that the power of a word or symbol
to incite is all "context-dependent," what they are saying is so similar in
terms of its policy implications for gTLDs that it is pointless to carry on
that debate. Because the clear implication of Avri's broader definition is that
ANY word can incite and thus incitement cannot be grounds for refusing to grant
string.

--MM