ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [soac-mapo] For review - draft recommendations

  • To: soac-mapo <soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] For review - draft recommendations
  • From: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 21:13:18 -0700

All

I think we're making progress.   Removing the explicit phrase 'morality and
public order' is helpful, and I think by sharpening the description of
principles of international law we're making the process clearer and more
effective.  Also, having a high voting threshold for rejection makes sense to
me as I think the failsafe (when in doubt)  position should favour approval.

Where I don't think we're making progress, at least in writing, is addressing
the GAC concern over 'controversial' strings.   As discussed earlier today,
these are strings that may not reach the level of international principles  -
but which are nevertheless significantly offensive to some.   Community
objection might be used against some of these strings but not all of them  (as
community objection requires the string to contain a group 'identifier').

The challenge then is controversial strings that are not addressed by
international principles.   I understand there is a natural tension between the
desire (by some) to limit these strings and the recommendations in
Implementation Guideline G ('freedom of expression').   I'm wondering if there
might be some middle-ground words that can partially satisfy both sides of the
debate.  Could terms like 'demeaning', 'inflammatory', 'intentionally and
provocatively offensive' or 'without redeeming public value'  provide some
tools to reasonably challenge strings?

I like the progress we're making but I don't think we've yet addressed one of
the key GAC concerns.  If we can address that concern, without harsh limits on
freedom of expression, I'd like to do so.

RT