ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [soac-mapo] RE: For review - draft recommendations

  • To: Konstantinos Komaitis <k.komaitis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] RE: For review - draft recommendations
  • From: Evan Leibovitch <evan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 10:27:58 -0400

On 7 September 2010 05:26, Konstantinos Komaitis
<k.komaitis@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In reference to point 1 (the removal of ‘morality and public order’) I
> totally agree but  what was suggested by Bertrand (and please Bertrand
> correct me if I am wrong) was the use of ‘Public Interests Objections’. In
> any case, I would like to express my disagreement with this proposal.

I agree with this, but also note that there already exists a category
of "community objection", as well as the mandate of the Independent
Objector to also serve as a kind of catch-all for otherwise-undefined
kinds of objection. So, in effect, the DAG already contains language
related to objections based on public interest.

While on a practical level it might be considered an insult, on a
logical level national governments can be seen simply as
legally/geographically defined communities. As such, perhaps the
community objection process could be extended to accommodate
objections by governments. Indeed, given that some of the domain
blocking also can happen at a regional level -- such as the recent
attempts in Russia -- the language could enable state/provincial
governments to express their objections as well.

I agree -- and indeed, this was a main point of my GLOS idea -- that
government and community objections be made known to applicants early
in the process, even if those objections are not likely sufficient to
lead to ICANN reject the applied-for string. This allows ICANN to give
proper warning to applicants, and it gives the government objections
value even if they are not going to force an ICANN rejection. I agree
with a comment made on Monday's call (I think by Alan) that some
applicants may deliberately be trying to provoke, and as such they may
ignore any objection advice that does not lead to rejection. However,
I am sure that there will be some well-meaning applicants that may not
know the negative overtones of what to them might be benign strings. I
think "pizza" -- quite possibly a legitimate string to be applied for
-- was used as an example of this.

- Evan