ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [soac-mapo] "string only" - clarification

  • To: Philip Sheppard <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>, soac-mapo <soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] "string only" - clarification
  • From: Konstantinos Komaitis <k.komaitis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 09:51:24 +0100

Thanks for this Philip - I will be looking out for such a registration :)

Again though I am not convinced about this. According to criminal law,
incitement requires, amongst others: action, intent and encouragement - I don't
see how we can ensure through a single string - even the one that appears to be
against me - that all these requirements are met. Even Carroll yesterday
suggested that for incitement determinations, context is something that we
cannot possibly overrule. Criminal law's incitement was surely not drafted with
gTLDs in mind, but at the same time let's not stretch the law in an effort to
fit novel issues, such as gTLD strings. We did that in the trademark arena and
look where it led us.

KK