ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

RE: [soac-mapo] Incitement (was: "string only" - clarification)

  • To: "soac-mapo" <soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [soac-mapo] Incitement (was: "string only" - clarification)
  • From: "Mary Wong" <Mary.Wong@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 09:05:23 -0400

Hi,

I believe that Carroll agreed that incitement - in most (though not all)
international treaties - required more than mere promotion. He did, however,
say that the context might well be relevant in considering whether there is, in
fact, incitement in any particular case.

Of course, the "incitement" must itself relate to a particular act that is to
be incited. There are therefore 2 elements required: (1) the act of incitement;
and (2) such incitement must be intended to cause another person (or persons)
to commit the particular "second" act in question. As Konstantinos points out,
the acts currently mentioned in the DAG that are "incitable" (I think I just
made up that word :) are acts that constitute criminal activity in probably
just about every jurisdiction.

Cheers
Mary

Mary W S Wong
Professor of Law
Chair, Graduate IP Programs
UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE SCHOOL OF LAWTwo White StreetConcord, NH
03301USAEmail: mary.wong@xxxxxxx.eduPhone: 1-603-513-5143Webpage:
http://www.law.unh.edu/marywong/index.phpSelected writings available on the
Social Science Research Network (SSRN) at: http://ssrn.com/author=437584