ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [soac-mapo] Draft recommendation on using a DRSP

  • To: Philip Sheppard <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] Draft recommendation on using a DRSP
  • From: Robin Gross <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 12:01:19 -0700

I think it is important to remember that as long as ICANN is a California nonprofit corporation, the ICANN Board of Directors may not abdicate its responsibility to take decisions it believes are right for the organization. This means California law forbids the board of directors from accepting a decision of an independent panel if the board believes it would harm the organization to do so. We have to craft a recommendation that does not ask the board to violate the law (for example "board must accept decision of panel"). So I agree with Philip's formulation below. And I would add that applicants have a right of an appeal of a board decision to a court of law.

Thanks,
Robin