ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [soac-mapo] Exchange of letters between GAC and ICANN re: morality issues

  • To: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] Exchange of letters between GAC and ICANN re: morality issues
  • From: Bertrand de La Chapelle <bdelachapelle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 09:56:16 +0100

Dear all,

Even if the whole GAC and gNSO Council do not formally endorse the
Rec6 WG recommendations, its proposals are probably more balanced and
accepted by the community than the existing "morality and public
order" provisions of DAG4, that were strongly opposed by almost
everyone (let us not forget that this was the reason for the creation
of the WG in the first place).

The absence of formal endorsement by the whole GAC and gNSO Council
does give some room for appreciation for the staff (to make proposals)
and the Board (to set the ultimate balance).

However, this latitude should be constrained by the public interest
duty to only make changes that increase the global acceptance and
implementability of the solution.

In other words, there is probably a need for the staff and Board, if
they move away from the recommendations of the Rec6 WG, to not only
explain the rationale for the change, but also why it improves the
general community support.

On a side note, I agree that the Rec6 group carefully avoided doing
policy (cf. Our early debate regarding not reopening the gNSO policy
recommendations) and rightfully focused on implementation modalities.

Best

Bertrand

--
Bertrand de La Chapelle

"Le plus beau métier des hommes, c'est d'unir les hommes" Antoine de Saint
Exupéry
("there is no greater mission for humans than uniting humans")