ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [soac-mapo] when is a domain name "incitement" that can be prohibited?

  • To: Evan Leibovitch <evan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] when is a domain name "incitement" that can be prohibited?
  • From: Stéphane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 10:44:07 +0100

Evan,

As you rightly say, this is my POV. I understand the group has already
submitted its recommendations and my line of discussion was just that, open
discussion. It was not a call to reopen issues that have already been delt with
by this group.

To continue the discussion however, and this can be done outside this list if
that is more appropriate, I do find your statement, that what I find offensive
should not be cause to ban something worldwide, interesting. You are, of
course, absolutely right. My own standards should not have to apply worldwide.
But your view of total freedom of expression is also unrealistic in my view.
There are some standards which might be considered almost global. Public calls
to kill someone probably fall within that. Although some may not be offended by
that, most would find such calls abhorrent.

So it's all a question of values in the end. A public call to kill someone is,
in my view, never acceptable. To you, my view would be tantamount to "impeding"
and "banning" on a global scale. There is a huge gap between us here, that much
is obvious...

But once again, my intent is not to restart conversations that this group has
already had. I am speaking as an individual voicing his own opinion, nothing
more.

Stéphane