ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[sti-report-2009]

Comments on Special Trademarks Issues Report

  • To: sti-report-2009@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comments on Special Trademarks Issues Report
  • From: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 09:01:57 -0800

I support the recommendations in this report and commend the STI working team
for their successful efforts in consensus making.   Trademark issues are
arguably the most complex and contentious in the new gTLD process.  Despite
this the STI Team have built on input from the IRT and the community to reach a
fair and workable compromise on these difficult issues.

I endorse all recommendations in the report (however I do not support the
positions in the minority statements).  In particular I’m pleased to see GNSO
reach consensus on a mandatory URS for rapid takedown in clear-cut cases of
trademark abuse. I have been a supporter of such mandatory takedown since
before the IRT was formed and am pleased to see the STI produce detailed and
sensible procedures for how this takedown should operate.    The report
proposes important safeguards to reduce abuse of the URS by over-reaching
trademark holders.  We will need to be vigilant in ensuring these safeguards
are properly implemented and operated.

The URS and Trademark Clearinghouse should now enter the DAG and join mandatory
Thick WhoIs, mandatory Sunrise/IP Claims, and PDDRP to create a suite of
trademark protections for new TLDs that vastly exceed those in existing TLDs.
With these protections in place new TLDs will become much safer places for
trademarks than existing TLDs, such as .COM, where trademark infringement is
rife.     Consequently, once new TLDs are launched and some market share moves
to these new TLDs, I believe there will be significantly less trademark
infringement in the overall domain space.

Richard Tindal

Washington, DC