ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[stld-rfp-general]

.Mail Domain Good and Bad

  • To: <stld-rfp-general@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: .Mail Domain Good and Bad
  • From: "James Higgins" <jwhiggs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 17:57:45 -0500

Thank you ICANN,

I am very happy that you're taking serious effort to get this email issue
taken care of. But my one thought would be with the proposed costs of this.
For someone like me with a small business just making the leap was somewhat
hard with hardware and support costs. And the idea of verifying that when I
send an email out to a customer it will not be hijacked for some nasty uses.
But just the thought of having to shell out another 2 grand when I already
have many other costs associated with web based sales would be somewhat
heartening. And since this is designed to combat spammers then it would be a
good thing to note that most spammers would easily spend 2000.00 or 4000.00
if the end result would be 6 or 8 thousand in revenue. There has got to be
another way to create a .mail domain without this significant cost to small
businesses. I would like you possible propose that someone who already owns
a specific domain name would be able to opt in the .mail with minimal costs
as long as that domain has not been an accused spammer or has no history of
spamming since to me is seems that Spamhaus would be able to verify if
someone who was opted in was spamming.

Thank you,

And keep up the good work