ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[stld-rfp-general]

Please don't kill the legit small business.

  • To: <stld-rfp-general@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Please don't kill the legit small business.
  • From: "Dennis Kerr" <kerr_dennis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 07:28:15 -0500

Overall, I like the idea of a new .mail domain.  I don't like spam.

My father runs a legitimate sub contracting company that installs networks,
phone, and security - anything that needs cable run through walls - without
damaging the drywall.

However, the reported fee to use it would be so high as to put a real strain
on small businesses.  Other expenses are also going up, such as fuel costs
and those that depend on fuel for delivery.

My suggestion:

Set the fee low for the first few .mail fees a company or an individual has.
Then, if someone like a spammer keeps adding more and more domains, as if an
attempt to obfuscate or spoof the system, then raise the price.  If a large
company needs many domains, well, they can affford it.  Why not make the
first few affordable and help do your part to help the economy rebound.

I am watching.

Dennis Kerr

kerr_dennis@xxxxxxxxxxx