ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[stld-rfp-xxx]

Do Not Let This Time Be Like The Last

  • To: <stld-rfp-xxx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Do Not Let This Time Be Like The Last
  • From: "Aaron D. Sanders" <adsanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 13:05:43 -0400

Having recently completed a 40 page paper on ICANN, of which 10 pages were dedicated to the .xxx TLD, I must say that this is a great idea. It was a great idea in the last set of proposals as well, but ICANN chose not to accept .xxx at that time. No, it will not be a "silver bullet" to cure all of the problems, but it is a great first step. The adult industry needs this TLD to keep government regulation at bay. Look what has happened since the Super Bowl. It is foolish to think that the government is not going to consider regulating content on the Internet once again. We narrowly avoided the Communications Decency Act, and it is in the best interests of everyone that the Internet and adult industry prove to the government that they can solve their own problems without government legislation.

Once the .xxx TLD is in place, it should be required that all adult sites currently existing in .com, .net or any other TLD move their site to .xxx. Of course, their remaining lease time should be grandfathered over to .xxx to help encourage the move. Yes, policing the moves will be difficult and resource consuming, but it is worth the effort. Just think about how much easier content filtering will become. Configure browsers, proxies, and other devices to block the .xxx domain. Now you have gone a long way to protecting your children and workplace environment.

I have only one question: What happens to organizations that registered a .xxx domain through New.net. Granted, it is a competitive system that is not affiliated with the DNS, but do they have a right to their domain? I have not heard any mention about how that situation will be handled.

There are a lot of problems out there. Minors viewing pornography, child pornography and all of the legal entanglements that go with a global resource such as the Internet. This is a critical first step towards a better future. Please ICANN, support .xxx this time around.

Aaron Sanders

Aaron D. Sanders
A+   Network+   MCP Windows 98
Second year student in the Master of Science in Information Technology program at Rochester Institute of Technology
Bachelor of Science in Information Systems - Clarion University of Pennsylvania
PGP Public Key available from http://www.adsanders.net
Professional Web Site: http://www.adsanders.net