ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[stld-rfp-xxx]

RE: The .xxx proposal

  • To: <stld-rfp-xxx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: The .xxx proposal
  • From: "Aaron D. Sanders" <adsanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 09:20:43 -0400

Donald,

I agree that mandatory enforcement of an adult gTLD would be difficult. Although I would like to see a mandatory policy created that would force certain types of content into the .xxx domain, I realize that the most probable motivator will be peer pressure to "do the right thing". I am amazed at the number of anti-smoking advertisements that are run by cigarette companies today.

I do not agree, however, that there are Constitutional issues regarding a mandatory adult zone. I think that require sites that contain nudity to move to .xxx would be similar to the way retail stores require that adult magazines be placed in sealed plastic bags with something blocking the cover. In each case, improper access is being blocked while still allowing proper access. I am not a legal expert on this matter, and I would like to hear the opinion of others, especially someone with an expertise in this area.

Aaron

Aaron D. Sanders
A+   Network+   MCP Windows 98
Second year student in the Master of Science in Information Technology program at Rochester Institute of Technology
Bachelor of Science in Information Systems - Clarion University of Pennsylvania
PGP Public Key available from http://www.adsanders.net
Professional Web Site: http://www.adsanders.net