ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[strategic-plan-comments]

[strategic-plan-comments] domain registrar transfer policy

  • To: strategic-plan-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [strategic-plan-comments] domain registrar transfer policy
  • From: Clayton Watson <momoshusband@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 09:32:53 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

Recently I tried to transfer a couple of my domain
names from one regsitrar to another. According to the
new ICANN policy, the holding registrar cannot deny
this, and they did not. However, they did find a way
to deny it de facto, which was to charge a $200.00 fee
per domain, to "permit" the transfers to proceed. In
the face of this, I cancelled my request; i.e., it was
effectively denied, contradicting the new ICANN
policy.

I sincerely hope that ICANN will consider this, and
initiate an addendum to the must-transfer policy that
would prohibit registrars from holding domains hostage
like this.

Thank you,

Clay Watson
webmaster