ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[stratplan-2007]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index

Comments from Nominet

  • To: stratplan-2007@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comments from Nominet
  • From: lesley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 15:15:30 +0000

On behalf of Nominet UK, the country code Top Level Domain registry for .
uk, I would like to thank ICANN for the opportunity to comment on the
agreed ICANN Strategic Plan 2007 to 2010.

I appreciated being consulted during the creation of the plan at the
various ICANN meetings and teleconferences that were organised in order to
provide community input. It was pleasing to note that several of my
comments were taken on board in the plan drafts. I have encouraged, and
will continue to encourage, other ccTLD managers to become more involved
in the strategic plan process.

 I make the following comments on the plan:

Key Organisational Challenges

As I commented during the strategic plan consultation, the organisational
challenges of implementing the plan should not be under-estimated. Much of
the content of the plan rightly focuses on the external priorities.
However, internal priorities are also crucial, in order that the
organisation is capable of delivering on the external priorities.

Whilst the internal priorities are covered in various places in the plan,
in my view, the challenges that will be faced have perhaps been
under-estimated.

The significant volumes of policy work, the reviews of processes and
performance, together with the development of effective communications
will be very challenging. The workload will be likely to require an
increase in staff numbers. This, in turn, will make management of the
organisation and internal communication much more demanding, particularly
due to the world-wide locations of staff.

Based on Nominet?s experience of significant growth and organizational
change, management and staff capacity, rather than capability, can often
become the key challenge.

Strategic Priority 1 ? Organisational Excellence in Operations

Nominet strongly supports continued improvements to the IANA service and
the automation of IANA processes to enhance productivity and efficiency. I
hope to remain a member of the ccNSO IANA working group that is working
with the IANA staff to assist with these priorities.

Strategic Priority 2 ? Organisational Excellence in Policy Development

One of the ways in which policy development might be improved is by better
working between and across each of the ICANN constituencies. This appears
to have been omitted from the plan, but may well be one of the
enhancements to result from the independent reviews that will take place.

Strategic Priority 3 ? Increased International Participation

Nominet supports the aim of developing best practices within the ccNSO,
but is concerned that these have not been presented as non-binding best
practices, as recommended by the ccNSO meeting in Sao Paulo. It is assumed
that this was due to the recommendation coming very late in the process.
We agree with the stated Government Advisory Committee principle of
subsidiarity and that ccTLD policy should be set locally, unless it can be
shown that the issue has global impact and needs to be resolved in an
international framework.
Nominet would also support increased participation of ccTLD managers in
the ccNSO and I will be personally offering to assist in any initiatives
that might bring this about.

Strategic Priority 4 ? Increased Participation in and Efficiency of the
ICANN Multi-Stakeholder Environment

Nominet supports the planned review of the Nominating Committee. However,
the current thrust of the review is about the committee composition, the
recruitment process and overall transparency. In my view, one of the key
challenges going forward will be to recruit board members with the
appropriate levels of skills and expertise to be able to provide effective
oversight and leadership, who are also willing and able to dedicate
sufficient time to this role. With this in mind, it is suggested that the
review should be extended to consider whether the current process and lack
of payment will result in such candidates coming forward in future, and
whether board members should receive remuneration for their services.

Strategic Priority 5 ? Successfully Transition ICANN to Private Sector
Management

Nominet supports the introduction of mechanisms that report upon the
openness, transparency and inclusiveness of ICANN. I note that a
sub-section of this priority covers the implementation of best practice in
accountability and transparency, but this is not repeated in terms of
openness and inclusiveness. Neither is corporate governance fully covered.
I would suggest that the introduction of reporting mechanisms does not
fully cover the agreed intent of this priority and that the resultant
action plan should include:

The implementation of processes and initiatives together with reporting
mechanisms that improve the openness, transparency and inclusiveness of
ICANN and that incorporate corporate governance best practice.

I do hope that this feedback will be of use to you as you develop and
implement the Plan and I look forward to being playing a part in the
development of the strategic plan 2008-2011.

Regards,
Lesley

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index