ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[techcheck-comments]

Comments on IANA Root Zone Technical Checks

  • To: techcheck-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comments on IANA Root Zone Technical Checks
  • From: "Elmar K. Bins" <bins@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 09:17:59 +0200

Hi Kim & collleagues,

I have one comment, since even Karl with his comprehensive
e-mail hasn't addressed it:

9. Serial number coherency

We (.de) are not reloading all of our server systems at the same
time (I believe that's standard procedure to keep the service up
in case something fails), so SOA serials may diverge while some
server's are not reloaded yet. What more, we run a load-balanced
handful of servers at each site, so you could get two different
SOA serials upon consecutive queries to the same site (in case
one of the servers the load balancer chooses for you has already
been restarted, and the other hasn't yet).

So I'm not sure whether "serial number coherency" should mean identical
SOA serials or rather serials within a small "window" of possible numbers
to cater for this kind of operational procedure.

It could well be that we're the only ones running into this issue, since
our zone is quite big and takes some time to load.

Elmar.