ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[transfer-comments-c]

NS violiated policy by auto-locking without consent, prevents a move, and forces blackmail

  • To: <transfer-comments-c@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: NS violiated policy by auto-locking without consent, prevents a move, and forces blackmail
  • From: "A Tech Contact" <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 20:02:06 -0500

I offer my comments as per the comments page at
http://forum.icann.org/lists/transfer-comments-c/

and the
ICANN Requests Public Comments on Experiences with Inter-Registrar Transfer
Policy
January 12, 2005
http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-12jan05.htm

Network Solutions violated this new policy by auto-locking a domain without
consent.  The problem with their violation is that it allows Network
Solutions to further blackmail the site to have to still pay them NS's
absurd renewal rates.

I am the webmaster/technical contact for a site whose original Registrant's
email address "died" years ago.  A year or two after that, that original
Registrant moved away and left me the site.  I am the Admin/Tech/Billing
Contact and have access for everything except to unlock (because I am not
the Registrant).  I have had to pay Network Solutions' outrageous renewal
prices to keep the site going.  They are always glad to take my credit card
payment and to recognize me as the other three Registration Contacts, but
they will not let me move the site to another Registrar.  Indeed,  I want to
move the site's registration to a more rational Registrar, but Network
Solutions has prevented this.  This new ICANN policy would have allowed the
site to be moved to a more honest and fairly priced registrar.  But Network
Solutions instead deceitfully set the auto-lock before Nov. 12, so that the
site still cannot be moved.

Network Solutions should be fined for violating this new transfer policy and
they should be required to un-do their autoset locks without the consent of
the domain registrants.  Then I will be able to move the site as this new
ICANN policy intended.