ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[transfer-comments-g]

Notice; Accessibility of competent technical authority

  • To: transfer-comments-g@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Notice; Accessibility of competent technical authority
  • From: Simon Brooke <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:49:21 +0000

One of the features of the recent PANIX domain hijacking which was
particularly egregious was that the gaining registrar, Melbourne IT, did not
have any technical staff on duty over a period of in excess of thirty six
hours who had authority to review the transfer.

It seems to me that it would be reasonable to require registrars to have
competent and authorised staff available at all times - '24/7' - to handle
problems that arise. It also seems to me that it would be reasonable to
require the gaining registrar to give the losing registrar and the registered
owner of the domain seven days clear notice before executing a transfer
request.

It is not as though the possibility of domain hijackings had not been flagged
up as a possible consequence of the new less stringent process for domain
transfer; ICANN has a duty to the Internet community to ensure that we don't
see a spate of PANIX-style incidents.

--
simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

 Wise man with foot in mouth use opportunity to clean toes.
    ;; the Worlock