ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wellington]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index

Please present this during the open microphone

  • To: <wellington@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Please present this during the open microphone
  • From: "Jeff Field" <jfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 16:40:12 -0600

My name is Jeff Field.  I have a question for the Chairman, Vint Cerf.  You
are currently employed by Google, which is, among other things, an
ICANN-accredited registrar.  In the recent vote taken by the Board to settle
the long-time dispute between ICANN and VeriSign, which included a set of
agreements, one of which is a new registry agreement relating to the
operation of the .COM registry, an agreement that directly impacts
registrars, you did not abstain from voting.

Regardless of the fact that your yes vote in this instance was presumably
detrimental to Google's registrar business, and therefore arguably provides
some sort of ethics cover, if you did not feel it appropriate to abstain
from this particular vote due to your employment with an ICANN-accredited
registrar, what circumstances would need to be present in order for you to
feel it appropriate to abstain from future votes on matters that directly
impact registrars?

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index