ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

October 31, 2007, ICANN's policy advisory body (the Generic Names Supporting Organization (GNSO) Council) vote on Motion 2

  • To: <whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: October 31, 2007, ICANN's policy advisory body (the Generic Names Supporting Organization (GNSO) Council) vote on Motion 2
  • From: "Spataro, Giovanna" <giovanna.spataro@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 10:25:00 -0400

Dear Sirs:

On October 31, 2007, ICANN will be voting on motions which may lead to
elimination of free public access to Whois databases. It would be a great
disservice to companies and consumers alike to eliminate such free public
access as Whois is essential in fighting Internet fraud and piracy.  As a
trade-mark attorney, Whois allows me to verify the existence of prior rights
when conducting trade-mark searches.  These databases also allow me to take
action in the case of violations of my  clients' trade-mark rights, as it
allows me to identify the Internet violaters.  Whois is important for consumers
and business - and to help businesses protect their consumers online - and that
the GNSO Council should adopt Motion 2 and reject Motions 1 and 3.

Giovanna Spataro
Attorney/Trade-mark agent
Gowling Lafleur Henderson LLP
1, Place Ville-Marie
37th Floor
Montreal, Quebec H3B 3P4
Telephone: (514) 392-9565
Telecopier: (514) 878-1450

AVIS IMPORTANT: Le present message n'est destine qu'a la personne
ou a l'entite a qui il est adresse, et peut contenir des
renseignements de nature privilegiee et confidentielle qui ne
doivent pas etre divulgues en vertu des lois applicables. Si le
lecteur du present message n'est pas le destinataire prevu ou
encore l'employe ou le mandataire charge de remettre ce message au
destinataire prevu, vous etes par les presentes avise que toute
diffusion, distribution ou reproduction de cette communication est
strictement interdite. Si vous avez recu cette communication par
erreur, veuillez en aviser Gowlings immediatement par courriel, a
l'adresse postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Merci.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This message is intended only for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed. The message may
contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt
from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible
for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are
communication in error, please notify Gowlings immediately by email
at postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Thank you.